Rising Gas Prices Impact Student Academic Performance

Daren Gonzalez, Staff Writer

For many Moreno Valley College students, rising gas prices have negatively affected their wallets and their performance in school.

“I feel like I spend more on gas than I do on groceries,” said Alejandra, a first year student at MVC. “I feel like it’s just rent and gas now.”

Students have been using a lot more money on gas than essential items that they may need, even missing a few days to make up the money for those necessities or gas.

“I missed two school days,” said Alejandra. “I was short on money and I had to go to work, so I would rather go to work and make up the money.”

Some students have been able to find a way around using a lot of money on gas.

“If I have to, I’ll just carpool to save on gas a little bit,” said Valerie Ward, a second year student at MVC. “I’ll figure out a way around it.”

John Cowley, an Economics teacher from Moreno Valley High School, shared some insight on why gas prices have become so high.

“Gas prices rise when there is a perceived scarcity in the amount of what’s produced,” said Mr. Cowley. “It could be perceived, or it could be real, but there’s scarcity in fuel, so prices will rise.”

In addition to the rise in gas prices, many stores and companies have raised consumer prices, causing students to struggle to buy everyday items they may need.

“When inflation occurs in an economy, everything goes up,” said Mr. Cowley. “So fuel goes up, and everything associated with it goes up as well.”

With gas prices rising, the president can help in some areas, but he’s not able to lower all costs without potentially raising other costs.

“While a president can’t set prices for gasoline, he can have policies that affect the production of fuel, and goods we import and export,” explained Mr. Cowley.

With the cost of gas increasing, and  government potentially making it worse, students much like many other citizens have to deal with these high prices. Some are able to find ways around it, while others are not and are forced to miss school.

“Gas is too high,” said Alejandra. “I’m not used to paying so much, I don’t even fill up my tank anymore.”