Moreno Valley College Herald

The Student News Site of Moreno Valley College

Moreno Valley College Herald

Moreno Valley College Herald

Farmer’s Market brings fresh produce, artisanal goods and more to campus

Shanika Singh
Assorted produce and goods at MVC’s Farmer’s Market

The farmer’s market at Moreno Valley College brings vendors, local businesses and fresh locally sourced produce every first and third Tuesday from 10 am- 2 pm in the Coudures Plaza.

The bi-monthly on-campus farmer’s market is available to all students and staff as well as the public. The farmer’s market began in the Winter of 2024 through ​​Monty’s Market. Monty’s Market is managed by MVC’s Basic Needs and Wellness team.

Students can register for a $10 voucher or use their WIC and EBT/CalFresh benefits. All produce is from farms in Southern California.

Yanet Bustamante, a local vendor, shared that vendors work directly with farmers. Her fruit stand, The Angelo Ranch, features a variety of citrus and cold-pressed juices but her best-selling item is Cara Cara oranges.

Juana Mendoza & Manuel Caballero’s stand, Familia Martinez Farms, features select berries and vegetables grown in San Luis Obispo County. Most vendors pick up the produce directly from the farms and then set up their stands on campus.  “We love providing healthy foods to local communities,” Mendoza said.

Besides locally grown fruits and vegetables, the farmer’s market offers other unique food options. One of the most popular stands is Milo’s Coffee & Co.  Pup-inspired and human driven, the company works with farmers to get quality beans to use for their coffee and espresso drinks.

Siblings Westin and Cassidy Mills shared their positive experiences as returning farmer’s market vendors. According to the Mills, everyone is friendly and they appreciate the interactions made with everyone on campus.

Another family own company at MVC’s farmer’s market is Native Farms. Native Farms offers lentil-based hummus, pita bread, and other assorted dips. Sam Badran said that all of his goods are locally sourced, fresh ingredients and handmade with his family members, “It’s made daily and everyone in the family helps.”

In addition to the health benefits, farmers’ markets allow vendors to gain employment through farms and provides students access fresh food.

Student and Monty’s Market staff member Emmanuel Valdovinos said that MVC’s Wellness team relies on student outreach such as social media posts and emails, which are sent to all RCCD students to inform them when the farmers market takes place. The next farmer’s market will be held April 16th.