Moreno Valley College Herald

The Student News Site of Moreno Valley College

Moreno Valley College Herald

Moreno Valley College Herald

MVC Reflects on the Fall Term, Amid Global Tensions and Cultural Milestones

• GTA VI Reveal Artwork Directly from Rockstar’s Website

As the doors of classrooms close for the winter break, Moreno Valley College reflects on a fall semester marked by academic achievements, global challenges, and significant strides toward accessible education. The past few months played out amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, worries about inflation, which pushed students, faculty, and staff to navigate a complex academic environment influenced by both local and international factors.

Despite the world grappling with the war in the Middle East and the economic uncertainties, Moreno Valley College students have made it through another fall semester. They are now gearing up for a well-deserved winter break. While the fall semester of 2023 posed unique challenges for MVC and the rest of the world, there were also joyous moments we will carry into the new year and possibly for years to come.

As we say goodbye to 2023, let’s take a moment to look back at the standout moments that shaped this memorable year.

• In October, tensions flared up again between Israel and Hamas. Israel’s strikes against Hamas, which it considers a terrorist organization, were met with rocket fire into Israeli areas. The conflict caused widespread civilian harm and destruction, raising global concerns about the war. Talks for a ceasefire were in progress amid urgent calls for peace and the protection of civilians in Palestine. The situation underlined the persistent strife in the region and the urgent need for a lasting peace agreement. Students who felt comfortable speaking their minds expressed their disappointment with leaders on both sides of the conflict. They criticized the leaders for engaging in retaliation instead of actively seeking solutions. “I just want the killing to stop,” said Jerome Smith, a student at MVC.

• On the music scene, Taylor Swift took over the world with her Eras Tour and even flooded the movie theaters with “Swifties.” Swift embarked on a sold-out global tour, showcasing her remarkable stage presence and connection with audiences. Karla Saldana, who studies child development at MVC, has been a fan of Swift since her first single, “Tim McGraw,” came out in 2006. “That’s my favorite song,” she said, “because it talks about one of my favorite country artists.” She described how excited she was to see Swift perform at SoFi stadium in Los Angeles back in the summer. “I knew it was going to be a really long show, and I was hoping she sang a lot of the songs I liked.” Karla describes herself as a “Swiftie,” but not to the  extent as some fans have been portrayed in the news.

• Anime lovers experienced a bittersweet farewell with the conclusion of the final season of “Attack on Titan,” marking the end of the decade-defining series. The wrap-up brought a mix of nostalgia and anticipation, leaving fans to say goodbye to characters who had become an integral part of their lives. Melissa U, an Anthropology major at MVC, described her experience with the anime series as “everything I could have ever wanted and more.” Additionally, mega-fan of the series and Communications major Allanah Urea was devastated to see the show end and felt for other fans who are also searching to find ways to fill the void left by the finale. “I just can’t believe it’s over,” says Allanah. “Shout out to all my AOT fans out there who are struggling to cope still.”

• Meanwhile, gaming enthusiasts were treated to a long-awaited moment as the first “Grand Theft Auto VI” trailer was finally unveiled. Rockstar Games delivered a tantalizing preview of the next installment in the blockbuster franchise, sending shockwaves through the gaming community and sparking fevered speculation about the game’s setting, characters, and groundbreaking features. Anywhere you went, you could find someone who’s a Grand Theft Auto (GTA) fan or at least knows what it is, and MVC was no exception. Students on campus, much like the spaces on the internet like Twitter and TikTok, were buzzing with talks of the GTA finally being shown. For Business major Miguel Ortega, the countdown to 2025 is on. “I can’t wait until 2025. GTA is all my friends and I play,” Ortega said. “I was in high school when GTA V came out, and I probably won’t even be at Moreno Valley College when six comes out.”

2023 has left its mark with musical triumphs, anime farewells, and the exciting promise of a virtual crime spree. As we eagerly anticipate 2024 and winter break, these cultural highlights will undoubtedly remain in our collective memories of the year that was 2023.

For those students attending classes in the Winter, the term starts Jan 8, 2024, and ends Feb 8, 2024.