Moreno Valley College Herald

The Student News Site of Moreno Valley College

Moreno Valley College Herald

Moreno Valley College Herald

Many MVC students are unaware of the benefits that come from student elections

Moreno Valley College student elections are designed to give a voice to MVC students. However, many students do not participate in student elections as indicated by low voter turnout.

Quite a few students, do not vote nor get involved in student government and it has been that way for some time. Senate Pro Temp of the MVC Student Senate Nathan Urena, strongly believes that, “if more students were more knowledgeable of student government, we would have more participation.”

Urena cited marketing for being a major issue why more students are not involved. “If no one understands the importance of their vote or their government, they are losing their moment to advocate for themselves.”

In the student body elections of 2023, 279 votes were submitted. In the recent April 3rd-4th, 2024 special elections, only 58 responses were submitted. Student Activities Clerk Veronica Horton, blames the lack of student participation on the culture of community college.

Students use community college as a means to save money, transfer to a university or to figure out if college is for them or not. Since the majority of community college students do not intend to be at a community college for long according to Horton, students often lack a connection to their school. She also added, that a number of students have busy schedules both in and out of school, which can cause them to either forget about student elections or not prioritize them.

MVC Psychology major Vivian Hernandez, claims that student elections are important so students can understand the importance of voting.

“Since my school work needs so much of my attention, I forget that participating in student elections is something I should be doing as well,” Hernandez said.

Hernandez’s statement is not unusual. It is likely the same reason why other students are not voting, as more students confess to feeling stressed about all their school work. By the time they  finish their classes the bulk of them want to go home and relax; rather than taking the additional time to learn about potential candidates and voting.

Students at MVC have the right to vote on all positions of student government and decisions that are made to improve their lives at school. “It’s important that students participate in elections so that their voice isn’t silenced,” Urena said. He also claimed that voting will benefit MVC students because the candidates have their best interest at heart.

Taking part in student government is important as students who are unhappy with certain policies or regulations at MVC, will have the opportunity to vote for someone who will represent their view to the Riverside Community College District. Those individuals who take advantage of student government, will participate in shared governance committees and be actively involved in the development of the college. Through their vote, students can elect someone that will help improve their lives at MVC.