Moreno Valley College Herald

The Student News Site of Moreno Valley College

Moreno Valley College Herald

Moreno Valley College Herald

Energy Efficiency Improvements Coming to MVC

rccd.edu
Rendering of what solar parking will look like at Riverside City College.

Riverside Community College District Sustainability Committee approved a multi-million dollar effort to improve energy efficiency at Moreno Valley College by 2025.

The development will include adding solar panels and electric vehicle charging stations to the MVC campus. This project has been in the works for several years and will help MVC reduce energy costs and its carbon footprint.

The effort to become an environmentally responsible institution began in 2021 with the formation of the RCCD Sustainability Committee. The plan was approved in June 2023 and will be completed in phases at all three colleges by 2025. This project focuses on resiliency by adding renewable energy, an emphasis on recycling, the use of responsible vendors, and the educational investment of greening the curriculum towards climate and social justice. By adding solar panels and updating the infrastructure of all three colleges, the goal is to achieve zero net energy by 2035.

This ambitious effort is possible due in large part to the support from the staff and committee members at MVC.  “This was a massive effort for a number of years, and will set the standard to promote clean energy in the future, which will not only pave the way for other institutions to follow along, but will eventually save MVC and the district millions of dollars annually,” said RCCD Sustainability Committee member and MVC Political Science professor, Dr. Fabian Biancardi.

Due to the of the size of this district, the phases began in 2024 with Riverside City College because they have the largest student body. RCC already has seven EV charging stations on campus for students and staff, and with a valid parking pass they are free to use for the time being. However, charging EV’s will not be free in the future, but will still be significantly cheaper than gas.

EV Charging Station at RCC (Jacob Moore)

RCCD has also received a grant to obtain EV’s for faculty to promote carpooling and cutback on emissions. When asked about the recent sustainability efforts, MVC student Andrew del Rosario said, “I’m happy to see consideration from the institution towards students and environmental issues.”

As it relates to climate change, the plan focuses on resiliency in times of crisis and is crucial to making sure that schools are able to operate no matter what. Going beyond renewable energy, this plan also includes the conservation of water and natural habitats. For instance, the district is looking at planting low water use plants, adding vegetated roofs, and harvesting rainwater. Currently MVC is using owls for rodent control on campus to avoid using poisons that can harm native wildlife that prey on rodents.

Owl presiding over MVC campus to control rodent population. (Jacob Moore)

The RCCD Sustainability Committee addressed their institutions’ responsibility to adapt to climate change by approving a definitive action plan. Sustainability is a cultural transformation that is ongoing, and this plan outlines the cultural shifts that are necessary to enact real change. According to RCCD Chancellor Dr. Wolde-Ab Isaac, “We must all take direct ownership in solutions that will move the needle toward a more sustainable future.”

View Comments (2)
Donate to Moreno Valley College Herald

Your donation will support the student journalists of Moreno Valley College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.